Saturday 15 November 2014

WEEK 6

INTERACTIVE AND CREATIVE WEEK 6

Hello everyone!

This week was really interactive!

I've found out a lot about teaching large and small classes, the resources provided in our wiki were very useful, particularly articles by Rick Finnan and Donna Shaw. I agree that lecture classes can be boring, because it's only "Teacher-Centered", ideas about enhancing lectures by making them more "Learner-Centered" were great.


I find Interactive lectures Summaries of 36 formats as one of the greatest resources I've ever seen for engaging learners and making interactive lessons, it has many powerful ideas for busy teachers. I will definitely start using it with my learners.


I've learnt how to use and implement different tools like PowerPoint Presentations, iClickers (Personal Response Systems) and Microsoft Mouse Mischief. They are all wonderful tools, which make teaching easier and interactive.


Finally, I've made my first, let's say 100% interactive PPT. You can watch it right here.

I've made this PPT with another brilliant tool called VOKI
At first, it was difficult, but I believe that I coped with this task successfully.


The most important news I'd like to share is that I started implementing "QUIZLET" and "ANKI" with my students. They like these tools very much. First step was to introduce them to my class, so as Ss are currently using ICA, I've just sent them step by step instructions on how to "Join our class" in QUIZLET. Most of them coped with this task, but it's still difficult for one student, actually, I understand her, because she is older woman, who can use PC and smartphone at a good level, but she finds joing/signing up somewhere very difficult. Anyway I'll help her and I believe that she'll succeed using QUIZLET. Then I introduced "ANKI", again via ICA, I just shared a link to download page and I also asked them to download first decks for memorising lexis. I explained that "ANKI" will be used only as flashcard approach in learning new words, but "QUIZLET" will be ideal for those, who like memorising by playing games and doing quizzes.


Further, most Ss downloaded only "QUIZLET" to their Iphones from Google play market, but they couldn't download "ANKI", because it's really expensive for Iphone, on the other hand, it's free for "Android" platforms, unfortunately, only one student has "Android" smartphone. So I told my Ss to download Windows version of "ANKI" and that we will use "QUIZLET" in the classroom, but "ANKI" will be used at home on PC and laptops.

I consider that "QUIZLET" is a great tool for using in the classroom, firstly, because Ss will not use other dictionaries at all, and secondly, I'll use "QUIZLET" for conducting "phone quizzes". Actually, I'm planning to conduct one next week. As for "ANKI" I prepared decks to use them at home by Ss for revising new words.

That's all the information I wanted to share, see you next week!

Best regards,
Zulyar Kavashev
Kazakhstan, Almaty

2 comments:

  1. Great Zulyar!

    I'm glad you could introduce both tools in one or another way. I understand there are always students who cannot pick everything up easily, but I'm sure with your help, and the help of colleague-students everyone will be able to use these resources shortly.

    I believe my WebQuest thrive went smoothly just for the reason I paired students into mixed-ability pairs so that the more responsive ones would help the weaker ones. We'll see whether the cooperation continues.

    I wish you all the best in the weeks to come!

    Gordana from Serbia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your experiences with the first steps of your final project! It's wonderful that you offered both tools to your students. Even though students are using Quizlet more readily and at ease, you've also found a way to use ANKI.

    I think one of the appeals about Quizlet is that it is easily accessed through mobile devices. This week, we're discussing the role of mobile devices in language learning. I think it's important to explore the ways we can use mobile devices, as most students have them and utilize them for everything. Why not have them utilize them for educational purposes as well?

    Excellent work integrating Voki and PPT! I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete