Saturday 29 November 2014

WEEK 8

   This week was full of new things, let's say it was more practical in terms of
applicability of previously learnt resources.

I've learnt a lot about Blackboard features, it's perfect and dynamic educational platform to use with my students. Actually, I've just started creating my first online course for future IELTS classes in this brilliant platform.

Then I've created a "Padlet Wall" for my Pre-Intermediate Ss to share their thoughts and reflection about each lesson.

Next step was creation of edublog for my current IELTS classes, so as to enhance their writing skills in part 2 Writing essay task.

The links for all above mentioned resources can be found in our wiki and Nicenet platforms.

  
What was new for me is "ANVILL" (A National Virtual Language Lab) platform
introduced by Jeff Magoto. This is absolutely free, which is quite good for ESL
teachers. In the article by Tina Deveny Oestreich about tech highlights
introduced me to lots of new tools, so one of them is "ANVILL". I really like
the idea that it can be used as LMS. I consider that it's one of the Bboard
features as well. I'll definitely incorporate it in my teaching. I don't know
how to start, but perhaps, I will start with "Trace Effects" game, so as to
engage my Ss. It's great! Thanks Jeff a lot for this innovative approach!

Then I've created a puzzle for my Intermediate students on topic called "Describing People" in http://www.lakeshorelearning.com

Finally, I've created again my first wiki in http://www.wikispaces.com, this is a link to it https://english2inspire.wikispaces.com/

  
As for my final project, I've done a lot this week, I think it's almost finished, my partners were great, thanks Sharmila and Gordana for being so helpful in this project review task! Thanks a lot colleagues! I appreciate everything!

  
In a nutshell, I enjoyed this week by trying out different tools! Thanks Courtney!

Best regards,

Zulyar Kavashev

Kazakhstan, Almaty




4 comments:

  1. Hi Zulyar,

    It was a pleasure having you as my partner in the Project Review work this week!

    Thank you for your suggestions! It will help me in completing my Final Report.

    Also, we learned such a lot this week. ANVILL was a brilliant discovery. Making the different online exercises and sites for our students was a hands-on learning experience for all of us.

    Best,
    Sharmila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zulyar!

    I just wanted to say you're welcome and thank you to you, too! This partnership with you and Sharmila has been one of the best things throughout the course.

    Best,
    Gordana from Serbia

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Zulyar,

    I love hearing you call week 8 "State of the Art" and that you found it to be useful and practical. It's wonderful that you explored so many of the sites you were introduced to. You mentioned not being sure about how to integrate ANVILL into your teaching. I think Jeff would be more than happy to answer questions about that.

    You've actually made me aware that Blackboard now offers a free service. This did not used to be the case. When I find time, I intend to explore how the functions of the free site differ from the ones that I set up for my classes in the University, which is paid for at a high price. Blackboard is our current LMS, but we're moving to Canvas next academic year. I'm excited about the opportunity to learn a new LMS. I like Blackboard, but of course, think there are ways that it could be more intuitive and efficient.

    Sounds like you had a very positive peer review experience. I'm quite please to hear this.

    Thanks for your continued enthusiasm!

    Best,
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete